Monday, December 29, 2014

Python for Matlab Users

As part of our MCMC seminar series this semester, we've adopted Python as the language that we will all write code in. While I've spent plenty of time programming in Octave and Matlab, I have only dabbled with Python here and there.

This time, I thought I'd make a concerted effort to get past that initial hump.

You know, you got to roll a snowball to a certain size, before it launches an avalanche.

Here are resources that I found useful:
  1. Introduction to Python and Problem Solving with Python (pdf) by Sophia Coban (H/T Walking Randomly). The first presentation introduces you to Python in general, the second talks more about modules. More importantly it also compares array and matrix operations in Matlab and numpy.
  2. Another simple introduction (pdf) to numpy and scipy by M. Scott Shell at UCSB.
  3. If you don't want a PDF link, here is a tentative numpy tutorial in HTML.

No comments: